Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Last Supper - Chicken Enchiladas

One of the questions I was asked when applying for the FN show was what are my three favorite meals to make and one of the items on my list was my sour cream chicken enchiladas. I LOVE THEM! Oh, they make me so happy! I like to eat leftovers for breakfast the next day, they are THAT good. Oh my. If I had to pick the last meal that I could eat I would have to say this. They are the perfect blend of creamy, cheesy, spicy love that you can get in one pan. So alas, I will share this with you. If anyone needs me to come and do a taste testing to see if your flavors balance out alright let me know and I will be there. Your life will never be the same after you make these, I promise.

6 Chicken thighs- bone in, skin on (I promise, they give the best flavor and are cheap!) FYI each chicken thigh should yield enough chicken filling for 2-3 enchiladas
1 onion thinly sliced
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 tsp better then bullion (can substitute 2 cup chicken stock in place of this and water, I never have that on hand!)
2 cups water
Place chicken heavy duty pan with tight fitting lid. Place chicken in pan and throw in remaining ingredients an let simmer, covered, for 25=30 minutes. Remove chicken from pan (DO NOT GET RID OF BROTH!), shred and place in a separate bowl.

3 Cups sour cream
2 cans WHOLE green chilies (open, thinly slice and chop yourself. Don't be lazy, just do it. pre-chopped chilies have parts of stem and nasty in it so buy them whole!!)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
heavy sprinkle of salt and pepper
1/2 c strained broth from cooked chicken
Combine all in separate bowl and set aside

3 cups pepper jack cheese shredded (or you can do a combo of white cheddar and pepper jack)- set aside 1/2 c for top
12-14 small flour tortillas

In the bottom of an 11x13 spread 3/4 c of sour cream mixture and be prepared to get dirty! In your left hand place one open tortilla and with your right hand sprinkle in some shredded chicken (about 1/ 4 c) and a big heavy pinch of cheese (about 2-3 Tbsp) Roll up tightly and place stem side down in pan on top of sour cream mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas until you run out of goods. Once they are all lined up like a pretty chorus line slather the sour cream sauce on top and sprinkle on remaining cheese (you can always shred more if you are running low, cheese never hurt anything!) Place in 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until cheese is melted and it is lightly browned on top. Try to let it cool before digging in. This pairs great with my black bean mixture. Heaven. It's Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment