Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Whoop Whoop - Red Velvet Whoppie Pies

Yesterday was a crazy day! Let me back track a bit. I few months ago I was asked to teach a cooking class for a fundraiser at church. I did it. I loved every minute of it. I can't wait to do it again! Before I taught that class I would have never been brave enough to do what I am about to tell you I did. The class was so fun for me and so soul satisfying for me that it made me realize that I have to continue to do what I love so that I can be with my babies because I know that is how I will continue to be blessed. I love feeding others. Whether it is a fancy shmancy cake or eggs and bacon I love feeding others. It makes me happy. It is what I was born to do.
So last week I noticed on craigslist that The Next Food Network Star was coming to Nashville and holding a casting call and I knew I had to be there, so I went. My dear friends at CMT have been telling me for about five years that I needed to try out and I always laughed about it. But, I finally decided to put on my big girl pants and go for it. It was the longest four hour wait! I was with them only three minutes. Three minutes?! Are you kidding me?!?! You can't even really notice what all someone is wearing in three minutes much less get a feeling of someones soul and passion. But, I did it. I am glad I did it. I will probably never hear another word about it but I did it.
So, I decided to reward myself last night with some Red Velvet Whoopie pies. Enjoy!

Red Velvet Whoopies
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
2 Eggs
1/3 C. oil
Combine all in a bowl. Drop by spoonfuls(hopefully you have one of those handy cookie scoops that make cookie making a breeze. If not, shame on you! Go get one at Michael's for 2.99) and lightly press down so they are flat circles. You should get 24-26. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until tops are cracked and cookie is set. It will still feel soft and that is what you want. Let cool.

Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. Cream Cheese at room temp
4 Tbp room temp butter
1/2 tsp good vanilla extract (I get mind in a big bottle from Mexico, don't be jealous!)
3-4 cups powdered sugar
In bowl of a standing mixer (or if you don't have one you can do this by hand) beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Add in Vanilla and add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it becomes thick. Scoop this mixture into a large ziplock bag and squeeze to one corner. Cut the corner of the ziplock bag and you have a piping bag! Pipe a big glob of cream cheese filling onto half of the cookies and place remaining cookies on top of glob and lightly press down.
Sit down and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment