Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pappasito's - The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Ever

For any of you that are from Texas just looking at this title is making your mouth water. For those of you that are not from Texas be glad that have not had the best Tex-Mex food on earth because you don't sit down at every gross local wanna be Tex-Mex restaurant and long for a bowl of warm salsa and crispy freshly fried salty tortilla chips or garlic butter topped steak fajitas. Seriously, I can't even think about it now. It makes me so sad that I can't eat there for every meal, morning noon and night or even once a month for that matter. I guess my Blue Bell prayers did come true so I can't complain too much. When I was young we use to drive 90 miles to Conroe Texas to go to Sams and eat at either Pappasito's or a local Chinese restaurant. Because my dad is a minister we lived on a tight budget so no cokes or dessert and we split meals quite often. About the only thing I could order and get all by myself at Pappasito's was a bowl of their house soup. It is to die for. It is the perfect balance of sweet and heat and makes me smile just thinking about it. This recipe is the perfect comfort food in the crisp air and will forever change your standards for good tortilla soup. This recipe is not Pappasito's but it is pretty close. For those of you that live near Pappasito's, don't even talk to me right now, I need a moment to regroup. For the rest of you, enjoy!

2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 bunch cilantro STEMS diced
1 chipotle in adobo sauce diced plus 1 tsp sauce
1 pablano pepper seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes drained
1 can great northern (or black) beans drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded chicken
1 cup frozen corn (or 3 ears of corn cut in disks)
6 cups chicken stock
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 bunch cilantro  leaves chopped
juice of two limes

In a large stock pot drizzle in 1 Tb olive oil and saute onions and carrots until they become translucent, approx 10 min(add a sprinkle of salt). Next add in cilantro stems, chipotle in adobo and sauce, pepper and garlic and saute 2 min(add in another sprinkle of salt).  Add in tomatoes, beans, chicken corn stock, cumin and chili powder and a heavy sprinkle of salt. Allow to come to a boil then turn to med low and simmer for 45 min. 2-3 min before serving add in fresh cilantro leafs and lime juice.

To serve: In the bottom of your serving bowls place a hand full of crushed tortilla chips and ladle soup over. Top with fresh avocado, sharp cheddar or queso fresco, dollop of sour cream and lime wedge.

This soup is so beautiful, my pictures did not begin to do it justice. Sorry! Someone feel free to make and take a pict and send to me!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I will have some Pappasito's in your honor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, I am so jealous. But, as long as you think of me it is okay :) I wish I was with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should arrange that, the boys need to meet each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pappasitos tortilla soup doesn’t have beans in it and never has. It’s been my fave for 20 years and I eat it often.

    ReplyDelete