Sunday, August 7, 2011

Squasheroo- Squash Casserole

This summer has been really unreal for us, especially the last few weeks. We have been so busy and in and out of things that we have not been able to be with many friends. We love entertaining. I feel there is no greater way to share your love for others then to invite them to share a meal around your table. It doesn't need to be fancy, just real. We have so many fun memories of meals!
This past Friday I decided we needed some company and quick since the only plans I had in mind were to take a road trip to Sam's (pathetic) so I called one of my best girl friends to see what they were up to. In the mean time I texted another girl friend to see what her family was up to...and keep in mind this was at 4:30. Within about 20 minutes of sending texts back and forth we had made plans for everyone to come to our place for dinner at 6:30. Awesome! No sweat. Luckily I had already had a dessert baking that would work and had a pork tenderloin soaking up some marinade. I didn't have much in the fridge, just some produce that needed to be used quickly, so I decided to throw together a squash casserole. I know, so 1990. I grew up on it. There is nothing really too original you can do with a squash casserole other then to love on it and let it shine, so that is exactly what I did. It turned out to be one of the best nights we have had in a long time, full of good laughs, good food and a simple reminder of the amazing blessing of good friends. Enjoy!

1 tube butter cracker crushed
1 cup cheddar, colby jack (whatever you have) shredded
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 large or 5 medium squash sliced thick
1/2 onion diced

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl, set aside.

Place squash and onion in a pot and cover with water. Turn on med high and let it come to a boil, continue to boil for 8-10 minutes until squash is tender. Drain squash (really good) then smash with a potato smasher (you want to leave a bit of texture to remember what it is you are eating). There will be some liquid come from smashing it and that is ok. Combine the squash with the cracker love mixture. Pour into a greased casserole pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment