Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Can-Cantina Soup!

I love soup! I am sure you know that about now but I do. It is cheap, warm, comforting and you can put just about anything in a broth and make it taste good. I came across a simple and yummy looking recipe for an easy chicken fiesta soup and decided to put my own spin on it, and I am glad I did! This is an easy soup that can simmer all day in the crock pot and is one that can be easily multiplied to feed the multitudes. I love the rich creamy texture and the heat it has from the chilies and the fresh bite of cilantro added for some bright texture. Put this one in the books folks, it's gonna be a keeper!
Chicken Can-Cantina Soup

1 can rotel - undrained
1 can sweet corn - drained
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed (so your soup doesn't turn purple or grey!! yuck!!)
1 can nacho cheese soup
2 chicken breasts - frozen or thawed
4 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp ranch dry seasoning
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tsp garlic salt
1 Tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp chicken soup base (better than bullion)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped

Dump all ingredients into either your crockpot if you are cooking it slow or stockpot if you are cooking it fast. Add to it two cans of water (I used the nacho cheese can so I could get out all of the goods. Something about bean water didn't sound so lovely. Crockpot - turn on low for six-8 hours, Stockpot, allow to come to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 min to an hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken and shred it, then return it back to the pot. Right before serving, throw in cilantro and stir.
I like to serve this with a dollop of sour cream (because you didn't get enough with the cream cheese and nacho cheese) a wedge of lime and broken tortilla chips. You can also add fresh avocado and more cilantro or shredded cheddar.
Some jalapeno cheddar cornbread would be the perfect addition to serve with this.
Enjoy y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment