Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Edible Gifts - Ritz Toffee


Does it get any better then that? I love it when my gift are things I can savor and smell and share. This season I have been overwhelmed with sweets and sugarplums dancing in my head. Everything looks good! I have read and re-read recipes and flagged page after page of must tries that is is hard to know where to start. But, I must. So, last week I had a big group of girlfriends over and decided to try out a new recipe that I have been eyeballing for years. I had this item at a party years ago and the buttery richness and sweet salty after bite was burned in my memory. I found this recipe in a book of mine and it had very few instructions which 1. amazed me and 2. frightened me. I know that dealing with sugar can be tricky business so I am going to share with you the recipe with a few more details added that will hopefully help you put this on your top ten list of things to make to give to others. They are worth making and sharing, and making again and sharing again...because you don't want too many of these things hanging around your house or your heart will never be the same :) By the way...happy early holidays!!

Ritz Toffee aka Heavenly Crackers

1 Tube Ritz crackers
2 sticks salted butter
1/2 c sugar
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup good quality bittersweet chocolate (I prefer ghiradelli)

Line a cookie sheet with foil. Next, line your cookie sheet with the crackers. Set aside. Turn your oven to 350.
In a heavy saucepan on low heat melt your butter. When the butter is almost totally melted add in the sugar  and turn to a medium low heat and stir occasionally until the mixture starts to boil. Once the mixture reaches a boiling point, turn back down to a lower heat where it is still boiling and do not stir for three minutes. After three minutes, stir in 1/2 c of the almonds and pour the mixture over the crackers.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until the sugar mixture has reached a nice amber color. Remove from the oven.
Put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chips are melted. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the crackers then immediately top with the remaining almonds. Allow the mixture to cool completely before breaking into chunks. You can even pop it in the freezer to speed up the process.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment