Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chilly Willy - Chili

This season's weather has been totally crazy! The the temp was below 40 on Christmas day but we have hit the mid 60's this January which is so unheard of. Last year and the year prior we had had quite a bit of snow by this time. I am not complaining, I love the mid 60's...but I would prefer them in their own time. I usually make buckets and buckets worth of soup and chili during this season but with this crazy weather it has not been on my mind as much. During the month of October, between trunk or treat and every other event I am usually chilied out before the cold season even begins. But, yesterday the weather started to take a dip so I decided to try out some chili in my crock pot. I hit a great sale at Whole Foods on ground beef so I figured I would try to measure some things out and cook up a pot. It was a great treat on our chilly winter night. We paired our chili with some grilled cheese on homemade bread (that is a whole other story!) Most of these things I have on season all year round. If you are in the mood for an easy meal, give it a whirl!

Crock Pot Chili
2 Lb lean ground beef
2 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
1 onion minced
1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed (you can always add more...we are a lean bean family)
2 cups water
2 beef bullion cubes
3 Tb chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp dry ranch powder
1 Tb cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
4 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp coriander
2 Tbsp brown sugar
4 dashes hot sauce

Dump everything into your crock pot. Using your potato masher, mix up the mixture to get all of your seasonings thoroughly mixed in with your meat. I love the texture that the meat gets from using the masher, it has a very fine crumble that I love with ground meat. Allow the mixture to cook for 6-8 hours on low heat. This is the perfect chili to use in a Frito pie and is the chili that a chili dogs dreams are made of!

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment