Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Easy Quichey

Is there anything more divine in the morning then a yummy quiche? I mean, I guess the answer can be yes when you throw giant gooey sticky buns in there or warm heavenly oatmeal but I love quiche. I love how easy it is and how you can throw just about anything into a quiche and it will taste good. I had a stockpile of frozen pie crusts left in my fridge from Christmas that I have been trying to use up the past few weeks. I also have a stockpile of sliced cooked ham from a ham I purchased last week for dirt cheap that I cooked, sliced and stuck in the freezer to have as a back up lazy girl meal. I know there are a million and one recipes for quiche out there and I am sure they are all lovely. This one was super easy and can be adjusted quickly to go with whatever you have on hand. This is a good ratio of eggs to milk to cheese so I thought I would share it with you all. Plus I have been testing out my camera and I actually got a picture that doesn't look completely like my five year old took it! Here you have it folks, Easy Quichey!

1 frozen pie crust (I usually buy the deep dish kind)
1 cup frozen cubed potatoes (could use shredded as well)
1 cup diced ham (could also use sliced lunch meat ham, crumbled bacon, or cooked crumbled sausage instead)
1 cup fresh spinach chopped
1 cup + 3 Tbsp sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated (could use Gouda, Swiss, pepper jack)
*You could also add in 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms, I small can of green chilies, sun dried tomatoes, 1/2 cup sauteed onion, 1 bunch scallions minced, 1/2 red bell pepper diced...you get the point. Anything is good!

Layer the above ingredients into a pie crust in that order. You want the cheese to help weigh down the spinach and I like the potatoes on the bottom so they don't brown up but maintain a soft texture.

In a large bowl whisk together 6 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk or heavy cream, 2 Tbsp melted butter, and a generous dash of salt and fresh pepper (If you are using bacon you can back off a bit on the salt so it doesn't overwhelm you). Gently pour the egg mixture on top of the quiche mixture and use a spoon to lightly mix things around to make sure the eggs reach the bottom. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until the center is no longer wiggly. Just before removing from the oven, top with remaining cheese and let it melt in the oven.
Remove, cut and serve.

Enjoy Y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I made a version of this quiche last night. It was yummy! I basically followed Brooke's advice of putting whatever was in my fridge in it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete