Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goin' Granola - Homemade Tulsa Granola

I have said it before that my sister is a great cook, but she also happens to be good friends with many good cooks. Since it is national oatmeal awareness month, I have decided to post yet another granola recipe. Hope you don't mind! I love oatmeal. The salesman, not so much. He is ready for national beef or potato month. This recipe was given to my sister by a dear friend who shall remain nameless (because she wants to). There are few times I come across a recipe and decide not to change things up a bit and this recipe is one of those. I love homemade granola. I feel very in touch with my 'mother earth' side, like I should home school for one day and not wash my hair. I never had granola growing up. I remember granola-ish things like Nature Valley granola bars smothered in peanut butter, but I don't remember sitting to have a bowl of homemade granola. There are a ton of granolas on the market but they are expensive! I am not a huge nut fan so I typically don't like the walnut or pecan brands at the store. This is the perfect granola (in my humble opinion) and it is lovely over a big bowl of creamy yogurt topped with fresh fruit, great to just snack on by the hand full, or, I like to pile it on a big scoop of vanilla ice cream when the granola is fresh from the oven (of course I do, right?!?) It is lovely. If I could name her we could all thank her, but feel free to pass along your appreciation and I will make sure she gets it. In the mean time, we will call it Tulsa Granola.

4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups nut of choice - Walnut, pecans almonds (I prefer sliced almonds in mine)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
Add ins: coconut, chocolate chunks, dried cranberries, raisins, dates, etc.  (I like chocolate chips and cranberries)

In a large bowl, mix together the first 5 dry ingredients.
In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the oil, honey and vanilla and stir until warmed through and combined.
Pour the honey over the oat mixture and mix thoroughly.
 Spread granola onto a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the mixture is lightly browned, taking out of the oven once to mix in the middle of baking. The mixture will harden up as it cools so don't let that fool you into thinking you should bake it more!
Once it is cooled, stir in your add in of choice. If you are wanting to add coconut, you can combine that at the beginning with the dry mixture and allow it to cook with the granola if you prefer toasted coconut.
Stir in an air tight container. Mixture will keep 2 weeks.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment