Friday, January 13, 2012

The Love Loaf - Melty French Loaf

If I died and came back to the world as an herb, I would want it to be either rosemary or dill. I know, that might sound a bit crazy to anyone out there but I really don't know what I would do without those two. I love how sweet and innocent they both come across but how they can really pack a punch. I love their bright fragrant flavors and how one is best suited for spring dishes and one is best suited for fall dishes...they keep me happy all year long! I jump at any chance I get to throw them into something. Now, you should know by now that around here we also love bread, meat, cheese and all things sweet. I mean, I have a license to bake goods. I know, these are not the ideal things of a healthy diet but they are the things of a HAPPY diet! So, when I can combine a favorite herb with my "happy" diet, life is good around here.
Last night we got our first real dip in temperature and we had a few snow flurries fall on the ground. My muffins begged to go jump on the trampoline so I bundled them up and pushed them out the door so I could get dinner ready. I decided to throw on a big pot of potato soup, but with potato soup, or any soup, you need some crusty bread. I hit a crazy good sale this week on French bread so I pulled out one of those babies and dug around until I found the perfect match! I introduce to you the Melty French Loaf. The best indulgence on a a cold night and the best friend a cup of soup could ask for!

1 french loaf (about 16" long and 4" across)
1/2  lb of thinly sliced deli meat, preferably two flavors (I used Boars head smoked turkey and sweet slice ham)
4-6 slices of cheese (I used sharp white, you can really use anything)

3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp seasoned salt

Split the french loaf long ways and fold it out flat like a giant sandwich. In a small microwave safe bowl combine the butter, dill and salt and microwave it just until melted, about 45 seconds. Using a pastry brush, brush the inside of the french loaf, top and bottom with the melted butter mixture, reserving a bit to slather on top. Layer in a meat, a cheese and a meat. Put the lid on the loaf then brush the top with the remaining butter. Cover lightly with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for around 20 minutes until the cheese is melty and the bread is slightly crusty. Remove, slice and serve.  This was just enough for our family of four but you might need to double this up depending on your crowd.

Enjoy Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment