Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Southern Lady's Crack - Homemade Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad has got to be one of the most versatile dishes in America, next to a hamburger. When I think of chicken salad, I think of tea parties and small sandwiches and white crust-less bread and the Puffy Muffin. The PM is a staple restaurant here in Nashville that has made a killing on their chicken salad. The restaurant is always booming with big haired southern women in sports jackets with broaches, all enjoying a plate of chicken salad with a side of bean sprouts (who really eats those anyway?). Their chicken salad is nothing original, nothing fancy, but it is a staple in this city right next to country music and jack's bbq. I love chicken salad. I love the creamy crunchy texture of it and the sweetness of the grapes. I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to chicken salad so I keep mine pretty basic. I have had everything from walnuts to Mandarin oranges in it but I like to keep it simple. You need a few basic things to make a good chicken salad and you can't really screw it up, thank goodness. I love chicken salad on cranberry walnut bread, but since that is hardly in my house I will eat it just with a fork. This is my take on it, not saying it is right, but a this chicken salad paired with a glass of sweet iced tea will have you singing, "Dixie Land" in no time!

2 cups rotisserie chicken diced (I do not like mine to become a mush, I like to have texture to my chicken)
1/2-3/4 cup fresh celery with leaves, finely diced
1/2-3/4 cup, fresh crunchy red grapes cut in half (this helps it maintain some crunch)
1/2 cup raw sliced almonds (need this for some super crunchy texture)
1/2-3/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup GOOD mayo, like Duke's

Combine all in a bowl. I like to use it right away but it will keep up to three days in your fridge. Serve over salad, on bread, with crackers, whatever makes you happy!

Enjoy Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment