Thursday, January 12, 2012

Waffle House

On the last day of school this past December, I picked up my oldest and decided to take him out for lunch to celebrate the end of his first semester at school. We tried chick-fil-a but the double line was wrapped around the building...so not cool. We tried a couple of other locations but it was the same story. I finally gave up but on my way home I passed the Waffle House so I pulled in. It was a really cold and rainy day, the kind where a cup of coffee sounds good on the hour every hour. My boys had never been to Waffle House, not that we are anti, we just never have cash on us and always forget about it! They walked in and fell in love, it was all I could do to pry then away from the jukebox. They devoured their chocolate chip studded, syrup soaked, butter drenched waffles and munched off of my chunked and smothered hash. They loved it. My oldest remarked, "this is my favorite place to eat!" which brought a smile to my face knowing I had won the  mother of the year award as far as I was concerned.
We love breakfast around here, especially the salesman. He bought me a waffle maker later year for Christmas and I hate to say that it has been very underused in this house. We traditionally stick to french toast or pancakes but today I decided to test out a simple batter in hopes that we could add another quick go-to breakfast for busy school mornings. It was a hit. Both of my boys gobbled up two waffles in less than 5 minutes. Waffles are not rocket science, in fact, quite the opposite. You need a simple yummy batter because the star of the show is usually a pile of butter and bucket of syrup and whatever toppings you want to add. These were easy enough that I made them and we ate them within 15 minutes from start to finish. If you are needing a new recipe on your days, try it out! I hope you will be glad you did!

Basic Buttermilk Waffle Batter
1 cup milk
1 tsp vinegar
Combine the above first thing in a small bowl. This is a fake take on buttermilk that will do the trick every time if you don't happen to have the real thing on hand (which I never do) By doing this first it will allow the milk to curdle a wee bit which is what you want.

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Cup buttermilk
Combine all of the above into a large bowl and stir just until mixed, you want a few lumps in there for some personality. Add in your buttermilk and stir just until mixed.
Lightly spray your preheated waffle maker with Pam then pour in enough batter to lightly cover the bottom of the griddle. Cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and top with butter and maple syrup or whatever topping you want.
My waffle maker makes 4 waffles in one giant 12x12 griddle. This yielded 2-12x12 waffles or 8-4x4 waffles, which was enough for me and the two boys with two left over. You can easily freeze left overs and toast them up when you want to enjoy them again.

Enjoy Y'all!

2 comments:

  1. oh yum...i will try it, b'c i love waffler house waffle's but don't like the big fluffy waffles that all of the recipes make.... and p.s. clearly you are not a waffle house frequenter...they started accepting cards like no less than five years ago...so don't let that keep your boy from his new favorite restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five years?!?! I can't believe it, but I am sure it is true! Let me know how you like them. If you need me to come over and eat them with you I can bring the maple syrup!

      Delete