Thursday, February 2, 2012

Easy Peasy - Cherry Berry Dump Cake

The other day my sister called me and asked how to make dump cake. I couldn't help it but I started cracking up out loud as to how she has missed the recipe for dump cake her whole life. Maybe she is not the only one out there who doesn't know the good old, pot luck Dump Cake stand by. Dump Cake is where you literally dump a can of cherry pie filling, a can of pineapple into a pan, spread out butter cake mix on top and spread over it a stick of melted butter. It is every bit as sinful and delicious as it sounds. It is about the easiest dessert you could ever want and it is super yummy. Well, I was reading somewhere that this is National Cherry Month. I got so excited I headed to my kitchen to see what I could put together and I came up with this super easy and yummy Cherry Berry Dump Cake. It is similar to a black forest cake but with a bit of a twist. Since I love dump cake and I love anything that I can turn into an a la mode I decided to create the perfect partner for a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. I know I keep saying this but this would be great for an easy Valentine's day dessert. You can make it the day before and just reheat it before eating. Be sure and top it off with a drizzle of chocolate sauce!!

Cherry Berry Dump Cake













1 large 16 oz bag frozen strawberries (I bought whole unsweetened and microwaved them for about 1.5 min)
1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
 1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 splash of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge)
1 stick of butter melted


Dump your partly thawed strawberries into a large bowl.
 With a potato masher, lightly mash the berries but don't kill them, you still want some texture.
Add to that the sugar, corn starch, salt and cinnamon.
Pour in the cherry pie filling and stir until combined.
Spread fruit mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 greased pan.
Spread your dry cake mix on the top of the berry layer. I like to leave big clumps to add texture when it finished so don't stress about having all even crumbles.
 Drizzle the stick of melted butter over the top.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Serve it warm with a big scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

Enjoy Y'all!

1 comment: